performance bikes set up ?

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other zx7r.co.uk users.

Moderators: kawahenrie, jazz, zedex82, Moderators

Forum rules
Please goto About us > Policy

performance bikes set up ?

Postby farmersti » 07 Sep 2009, 18:38

years ago performance bikes did a suspension set up guide for the zx7r anyone have it .i have it somewhere up in the attic but cant find it ,my bike has been set up their way since the mag come out but i can't remember the settings
you might find this interesting
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr ... yzx7r.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr ... _zx7r.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr ... story.html
farmersti
Moped
Moped

Re: performance bikes set up ?

Postby maxthedog » 12 Sep 2009, 15:28

i have a few suspension setup guides...but the forum wont support the format....pm me your e-mail i will gladly send them to you :mrgreen:
maxthedog
zx7r team member
zx7r team member

Postby Day » 12 Mar 2010, 16:12

I got it!

FRONT: COMPRESSION 4 clicks out from fully in
REBOUND 4 clicks out from fully in
PRELOAD 6 rings showing
REAR: COMPRESSION 12 clicks out from fully in
REBOUND position 3 or 4
PRELOAD 18-23mm of thread showing
Additional notes:Ride height: 5mm of fork leg protruding through top yoke including fork cap.Rear ride height: +10mm from fully off.
Current bike: ZX7R P1

Previous bikes: GSXR750 SRAD, DRZ400, GSXR750K5
Day
125CC
125CC

Postby farmersti » 24 Mar 2010, 18:24

Day wrote:I got it!

FRONT: COMPRESSION 4 clicks out from fully in
REBOUND 4 clicks out from fully in
PRELOAD 6 rings showing
REAR: COMPRESSION 12 clicks out from fully in
REBOUND position 3 or 4
PRELOAD 18-23mm of thread showing
Additional notes:Ride height: 5mm of fork leg protruding through top yoke including fork cap.Rear ride height: +10mm from fully off.

thanks i have just had the fork seals done so i now need to check the settings :D
farmersti
Moped
Moped

Postby daks » 05 May 2010, 17:40

just got a quick question on this post, i have set my bike back to factory setings as i have had a rebuild, anyhow i have dropped the forks through the yokes by 10mm so am now going to have to mess on with the settings again, i only set it back to factry as i was 68kgs but am now 71kgs thats without my gear on so id say about 78kgs withit (i think??) so if standard settings is for 68kgs then do i have to turn the supension harder or softer?? as the above setings what weight is this for?? cheer guys =)
daks
Moped
Moped

Postby derived solution » 05 May 2010, 17:49

ahh the joys of suppension setup!!!! lol :lol:
Way I see it is that if your last setup was for 68Kg and now ur 78Kg then you'll want to harden the springs/shock as ur extra weight will cause it to travel more when it hits a bump. BUT saying that, it depends how and where you ride, and how you like the bike to move under you, like it to react to every bump, or to soak up even the biggest hole in the rd,

Personally I have mine set so that the front is a bit firmer than the back, but then I'm 14st with all gear on and I do like to have more weight over the front of the bike, I've got the back raised up 9mm using the thread on the back shock. front forks are at stock height.

best thing i can say is to adjust one thing at a time, ride it and see how it feels. there is no right or wrong answer. It's all down to personal choice!! ;)
derived solution
125CC
125CC

Postby daks » 06 May 2010, 08:42

cheers for the speedy reply mate, i was thinking the same thing there is a road from where i live that has a few nippy bends and some very very long straights with bumps if you open the throtle on the bike up you can easily sit at top speed for about 5miles continuos, i thought that would be a good road to use to help set it up.
so from reading what you have replied with i will have to set it harder which is good to know, i have read in the sites in the first post on this thread think it was kens site thing about how the rebound on the front is actually ride height adjustment??
that confuses things for me a little more as i dont know what effect the ride height has on anything specially now i have dropped the forks 10mm through the yokes, i think i will stop confusing myself and wait until i have the bike back together then when i go out il try setting it up from then. Its good to be able to understand what does what though before i start to mess and faff on lol =)
daks
Moped
Moped

Postby derived solution » 06 May 2010, 10:58

Yes the front pre load is in actual fact ride height adjustment. I read Kens post form his site after doing the test he suggests it is true. :o

took me by suprise tbh...

by dropping the front 10mm ur lowering the front of the bike, ( as im sure you know ) so by then giving it less preload ur lowering it even more.. If I were you, I;d get it all back togther, stock settings, inc forks/shock back to stock height settings. ride it and take it from there. But bear in mind worn tyres/not right pressure/squaring off rear... will also affect how it handles, I recently went from a knackered D207 to a new BT014 and thort the back suppension was bust such was the difference in handling..

Give the suppension thread on here a look its full of useful info, esp the following thread I got going regarding setup.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=526

oh and ur a jammy sod for having a rd like that near to u!!! :x
derived solution
125CC
125CC

Postby daks » 08 May 2010, 09:32

nce again thanks for the info lol, 10mm is quite a drastic drop i agree and im wondering after reading all of the stuff i have about it if i should just move it to 5mm as this seems the standard mod people do? if i do that and take it from there i think i may well be able to get her somewhere near then il take her along to a guy i know who works in the pits for the race boys and the TT racing, he knows his * but i feel a bit guilty about just turning up and being like "hi, you ok? hows things.....oh by the way sort me suspension out" lol i know what id tell me to do!
if you go onto google earth and look for postcode DL12 0TE then zoom out a bit you will see the area i live and the lovely roads we have round here its well out in the sticks and is on the main road to a place called ALSTON now that is good road to throw the bike around on cheers again =)
daks
Moped
Moped

Postby derived solution » 08 May 2010, 09:50

so not only have u got gr8 rd's u also have a friendly mechanic who does TT/racing ... Ur A git!!!!

lol

Is ur back end stock height or have u adjusted that as well? yeah 5mm does seem the norm with ppl who decided to alter the front end.. Personally i've not done it as i did the back and don't wanna make the bike too skittish by doing the front as well..
derived solution
125CC
125CC

Next

Return to General Chat